Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Love Is

Love is many wonderful and good things, with one caveat- love is vulnerable.

Once you love someone or something, you become vulnerable. The happier you can be, the more pain you can feel. But to not love introduces a different kind of pain or numbness, a lack of happiness.

The life of a spy may seem glamorous and adventurous in the movies, but they try to stay unattached to anyone or anything. If they become attached, love something, they have a weak spot which enemies will certainly attack.


Whether it's your parents, siblings, spouse, children, family, friends, or pets, you open yourself to joyful love and to worry and pain. Luckily the love should more than outweigh the worry and pain, making it worth the risk.

As a child I think I just took for granted that my family would always be around and would always love me. As I grew up, I realized that people change, get sick, leave, die. But I've always known that my parents loved me, and that has been a strong anchor for me.

Now I've got a husband and kids, and it's a whole new ball game. It's more intense and more filling of my life, partly because I stay at home with my little girl. My family is my life and my job. I wouldn't change it- it's my favorite thing. Growing up I thought about different things to be, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and good wife. I still have a very part time job I can do at home, and other interests, such as this blog, but my family is my main priority.

My mom stayed home and my dad worked while I grew up, and it was just right for our family, for me. I have learned a lot by watching my mom be a stay-at-home mom, and by watching how my dad would help around the house too. They provided a good pattern of parenting and family life.

Some people would say the worry and pain isn't worth the commitment of love. But if you have a good family, good friends, find the right spouse- it is worth every second.

Love is one of the best things- to love and to be loved. "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." -Alfred Lord Tennyson

No comments:

Post a Comment