Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Still At The Beginning


Earlier this year we decided we would get some family pictures done in June. I decided that by then I should be able to lose a little weight. Well June has arrived and I'm still at the same size.

Getting healthy (achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, eating right) is about changing your lifestyle, not going on a diet. I've been slowly making changes in the way we eat and exercise. I have to remember that what took more than a month to put on will take more than a month to take off.

Even though I am still the same weight, I feel stronger. I'm trying to work out several times a week, and I can tell that it's making a difference, even if you can't see it yet. I love that it's summer now because I always feel like I have more energy and enthusiasm for being healthy when it's warm and sunny outside.

Good things I'm doing: Drinking lots of water and not drinking lots of soda or other drinks. Trying to incorporate fruit and/or veggies into every meal. Trying to exercise at least 3-5 times a week. Going on lots of family walks.

Things to work on: Portion control and not going back for more food, unless I really need it. (If I wasn't such a good cook, it wouldn't be such a problem! ;) ) Take time to enjoy my food more, slow down, savor the bites, chew it more. Exercise more frequently and more intensely. Keep those fruits and veggies replacing the chips and cookies!

Other health tips: Chew some gum when you want something sweet. Eat veggies and dip if you want something crunchy. Drink lemon water if you want a flavored drink. Get exercise dvds so you can work out at home. Make goals, then keep track of how you are coming along. Walk to the store, the park, or your friend's house instead of drive- a mile really isn't that long of a walk. Have good posture- think how you would stand if you were royalty or a movie star.

Most important- don't give up. It doesn't how matter how many u-turns you have to do on your path to becoming healthy as long as your headed in the right direction over all. As Henry Ford said, "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently."

No comments:

Post a Comment