Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Good Book Day

"One day I was 12 years old and broke. Then Grandma gave me Grandpa's old riding lawnmower. I set out to mow some lawns. More people wanted me to mow their lawns. And more and more…

One client was Arnold the stockbroker, who offered to teach me about "the beauty of capitalism. Supply and Demand. Diversify labor. Distribute the wealth." "Wealth?" I said. "It's groovy, man," said Arnold.

If I'd known what was coming, I might have climbed on my mower and putted all the way home to hide in my room. But the lawn business grew and grew. So did my profits, which Arnold invested in many things. And one of them was Joey Pow the prizefighter. That's when my 12th summer got really interesting.

Gary Paulsen's comic story about a summer job becomes a slapstick lesson in business as one boy turns a mountain of grass into a mountain of cash." (Scholastic)


I worked in a junior high with the resource classes. The kids just needed a little more attention and help to do their work, but they were smart. The teacher read this book to the class, and one boy got very caught up in the idea that a twelve year old could make money and have a business. He wanted to learn more about investing and buy some stock in Disney. This book inspired him to dream big, even though he was only twelve. He may never make big amounts of money while he's a teenager, but I think the lessons he learned from this book will influence him down the road. 

Lawn Boy is a fiction business book for teens that can inspire big dreams. Learning about business and investing at a young age is a good way to set kids on a financial path that can better their lives. 

It inspired me to dream big and not give up. I've had some lucky chances, like this boy, to do some work that turned into more work. Some people may see this story as just a pure luck story, and it is to some degree, but at the same time, he put work into it first, learned, and stuck with it. There's a lot of luck that comes into success but it has to be accompanied by hard work.

Check it out and have a good book day!

No comments:

Post a Comment