Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tears Fall Like Rain


I'm like Gus in Psych, we're both sympathetic criers. If we see someone crying, we cry too.

This happened to me recently. I was leading the music in church and saw someone in the audience sobbing quietly over the song I had chosen. I had been having similar thoughts about the song, so when I saw her crying, my eyes teared up also. I looked down to read the next line and couldn't make out the words. I made it through the song without tears coming out, but then I talked to the organist after and told her what happened and started crying. (It didn't help that I hadn't slept well the last two nights due to baby waking up.) Then I had three people ask me if I was okay because they saw I'd been crying so I told them the story which made me cry again.

When I am tired, sad, sick, happy, mad, stressed, or emotional, I cry. Sometimes when I get beyond tired, I don't cry, but my eyes still leak a little. When something touches me emotionally, I tear up. When I watch movies and something sad happens, the tears come.

My parents like to tell the story of when I was little, my brother and I were watching Lassie in a room by ourselves. They heard me crying and my brother got in trouble until they asked me what was wrong, and I told them I was crying because Lassie fell in a hole.

When Lion King came out I cried every time Mufasa died in the ravine. I don't watch Fox and the Hound because it's too sad. I really liked the movie Miss Potter, but it's so sad, it is hard to watch.

I'll wrap this up with some advice for the non-criers: “When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them.” -Lemony Snicket

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, am I ever a sympathetic crier! I just hate to cry and I try very hard not to. I've even found some tricks to keep the tears in and they work okay, but it's just that by the time I remember, they're already on the brim of my eyes! I found when I lead choir, I was able to keep it together by focusing on singing (well, mouthing the words) and it helped for some reason?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those a good idea to focus on something else to help distract you.

    ReplyDelete