Monday, August 19, 2013

Full Of Holes and Bruises

My friend, KP said, "It's funny to me how we all live in these 'boxes' and can only see out of a small hole right in front and as we 'experience' life more holes open up. I feel full of holes but I'm sure there's many more to come. But I'm always surprised when someone who must not have very many says something that is insensitive and thoughtless."


I'm not sure what the thoughtless comment was, but I know I've received thoughtless comments before. Sadly, I've probably unintentionally said some as well, I apologize. 

We all have different weak spots, bruises, that hurt a lot when they're pushed. Some people know your weak spots already and push them on purpose- avoid those people or situations if you can. Pick your battles. Most of the time, you can't see the weak spots on other people, so they get hit by mistake.

Recently my husband had a run in with someone when he jokingly said something and the person had an instant rage reaction, almost slapped my husband. Luckily the person barely pulled it together in time, but it was a little scary. There was no way my husband could have known how bruised the person was. But they were bruised and reacted out of anger. It wasn't a pleasant situation.

It's really a catch-22 regarding holes and bruises. People with bruises need to realize when something hurtful was said intentionally or unintentionally and react appropriately. Either way, they need to be able to let it go so it doesn't hurt them more. 

On the flip side, people without a lot of holes need to learn quickly to poke more holes in their box, which usually happens by accidentally poking someone's bruise or by getting bruised themselves.

Learn to watch what you say, think before you speak, and be sensitive of others. And learn to let dirty water flow under the bridge so you bruise doesn't get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment